Friday, July 31, 2009

Personae - Maybe Multiple Personality Syndrome?

A few people commented on the use of personae (I guess a way of pretending to be someone else, or hiding one's true identity) on the internet. One person even got pretty stroppy at me for "breaching internet ettiquette" by referring to her real name.



Well that sort of got me thinking (not something I usually do very well) about how I present myself to the world at large and more importantly, to myself. And would I want to hide behind any of my personaes.



Truth is, my head is like those old cartoons where you had the good devil and the bad devil arguing with each other in a cloud above the cartoon character. Except in my case I've got a whole crowd.



Probably the most dominant could look and act like the "Fat Bastard" from the Austin Powers" movies. Me and self-control have never been good mates....I mean I went to all this effort, and probably paid off most of my mate Bruce's mortgage, to lose a whole lot of weight, and here we have my Fat Bastard feeding me while singing "I want my baby back....baby ribs".



And what about gut reactions to people who piss me off? That would be Fat Bastard's brother...Angry Fat Bastard



And if we are talking about ribs, there's Fat Bastards cousin, who just loves the part of humanity that was created from a rib.



Then there's my adrenalin junky. Why would a 52 year old guy go bungy jumping at Bluekrans Ridge in South Africa.....BECAUSE IT WAS F*#$ing AWESOME!!!!! But is that normal?



Then of course there is the (I hope) better personae....

There's the one that takes care of my parents....I think my kids like that one, even if they think he's more juvenile than them. That one is the soldier's dad, the bat-sherut's dad, the boys at school dad and Lynn's husband

There's the one that is going to make a fair amount of profit for investors.....this one took a while to get going and gave me some grief along the way, but that's another story.

Well, here's the line from "Sybil"....No really, I am comfortable with all my personae. I am always going to be Ches, or Ezra for the Israeli's who cant pronounce Ches

And if you don't like it......well "GET IN MY BELLY"

1 comment: